PURIFIED WILDTYPE BACTERIORHODOPSIN AS PURPLE MEMBRANE
Bacteriorhodopsin (bR) is the prototypical “seven-helix” transmembrane protein (with seven α-helical domains), whose study led to advances in understanding G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs). In Halobacteria, it acts as a light-harvesting protein, producing a proton gradient across the cell wall that is then used to drive biosynthetic processes.
Bacteriorhodopsin is the only protein constituent of the purple membrane (PM), a two-dimensional crystal lattice naturally present as part of the plasmic membrane of the bacterium. In addition to bR, PM contains ten haloarcheal lipids per protein unit that have identical saturated side chains, but differ in the nature of their polar heads.
HALOTEK produces wildtype bR as purple membrane at significant scales which can be used in advanced research within the following areas:
- Structural biology/ Biophysics of membrane proteins
- Bioelectronics/ Proteoelectronics
- Organic solar cells
- Hybrid electroctalysts for direct electrochemical hydrogen evolution
- Study of photocycle of bR
Structural model of Bacteriorhodopsin (wildtype)
Purified Bacteriorhodopsin from Halobacterium salinarum S9
as lyophlized powder.
- origin: Halobacterium salinarum S9
- stable lyophilized powder
- 99 % pure
- native sequence of bR (wildtype)
- CAS: 53026-44-1
- molecular weight: 26,784 kDa
- worldwide delivery
- individual quantities up to 20 mg can be supplied
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PURCHASE OF BACTERIORHODOPSIN